Posted November 1, 2008
America's Presidential Election; Don't Vote for Spit!
by editor, Jon Israel

Election time for America's new president is upon us. But who should followers of Jesus elect?

First, let's make it clear that only Jesus can save our world. Blessings of peace, prosperity and healing all come from Jesus, but sadly, many erroneously place their hopes in a new president to save us from our mess. But no matter who's elected, the president is anything but a savior, so save your tears and stop calling the man 'messiah'.

What does the Bible tell Christians to do when it comes to leadership? Does God tell us we must vote as many mainline preachers insist?

I once voted for a lukewarm, so-called Christian to be America's president. He came into office and within 7 months selected America's first homosexual ambassador, also allowing the man's live in lover to be supported by government dollars. Then the lukewarm, so-called Christian president visited a mosque and declared the muslim religion to be a good religion. Furthermore, he called Jesus a philosopher, which means one who expounds on a theory, ideas and opinions.

Shame on you Christian leaders who tell God's people to elect a lukewarm believer.

When it comes to leadership and those in authority, God's word primarily tells us that our obligation to leadership is to pray for them. We are also to honor them, and obey them as long as that obedience does not conflict with God's word. That is our high calling and it comes with great authority and power.

Have you sincerely prayed for your employer? Do you pray for the local authorities in your town? Do you pray for the police? Have you been diligent to pray for God's will regarding the candidates in this election?

God's word has warned us not to be lukewarm. His word declares that He would rather have us hot or cold, but not lukewarm. He warned us in Revelation 3:16, "So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot nor cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

If God tells us not to be lukewarm, why would we elect someone who is lukewarm? History shows that lukewarm leadership continues to tolerate a Godless society, where Bibles and prayer are outlawed in our schools, where it's lawful to kill babies in their mothers womb, and God's covenant of marriage between a man and woman is trampled on.

Believe it or not, Jesus actually prefers cold to lukewarm. At least then the people would not be deceived into tolerating philosophies and anti-Christian activities perpetrated by a half-hearted, so-called believer of Jesus.

We may not have a candidate we can vote for, but we definitely have a candidate to pray for.


So, until you see one who is hot for the truth, on fire in love with Jesus, and ready to make the right changes, don't waste your vote for lukewarm. Don't vote for spit!

Email any questions, comments or concerns to editor@connectionmagazine.org.

In response to the above article...

Lynn wrote:
wow jon! this is where my heart has been this whole election. Jesus is the only one who can save. so, as i pray for our leaders, the tribal and bia officers who patrol the rez, my pastor (who is still trying to find out which of my buttons still work when you press them), etc., i have to honestly say, i did not vote for spit when i voted absentee last week.

will pray for the president elect-who ever that may be and holding my tongue from Lashon Hara. God is in control and praying His Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven while i work the polls.
Shalom

Pastor Cat wrote:
I totally agree with you, buddy! I don't know if I am getting this because you read my article on InJesus??
God is in control. If we have God on our side and we trust in his goodness towards us then we have no fear of anything..including who is elected for president.
God Bless,
Pastor Cat

"Christine G" wrote:
umm... I'm not even American, but even so I would be completely put off the candidate of YOUR choice by your manipulations. I've heard of this happening but am still quite shocked. Glad I live in UK : )

David wrote:
Well stated Jon. May the Lord bless your boldness and desire to stand for the truth!

"Darren W. C" wrote:
I must say, I am right with you in most of your post, but unfortunately I can not disagree with you more on this subject.  We are subject to the laws of the land and we render unto Cesar what is his.  For us it is this election process among other things.  And yes, the higher you get in the political arena the more look warm they become, but it is the prayers of the righteous to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ that can up holds them and if they listen to that hot part of God in their lives, our prayers will allow God to lead them.

Nevertheless.God Bless and continue to do the good work!

Editor Jon Israel wrote:
Can we just pray....or are we forced to choose the lesser of 2 evils? Why can't we just say no to evil or wickedness?

"Filip J" wrote:
Dear Jon

If you are suggesting that Christians shouldn't vote, you leave the country in the hands of the devil's children. And then the country wouldn't change for the better, that's for sure. God prefers cold or hot instead of lukewarm, but when it comes to politics, I am very sure that a bit light and truth is better than none at all. Just for your consideration. I think it's a ridiculous thing to write to people, what you wrote in the mail you sent. And I'm not even an american citizen. I live in Europe. In a country far more secular than the U.S., I'm convinced.

"Don't waste your vote"? Excuse me, but I think the only way to waste the vote is to flush it out the toilet, thus letting the satanists, buddhists, atheists, men who make millions out of porn, child molesters, etc. decide which human being should rule the laws and the country. And I'm pretty sure they won't chose the one God wants.

But if you like to see your country go to hell, sure, great idea, don't vote for the most godly man. Let the ungodly men give the president's chair to the most ungodly man.

I'm still young and have a lot to learn. But that's my imperfect view on what you sent to my inbox.

Have a lovely day.
And God bless you and America, as He has done so much already.

Sincerely, Filip J

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Filip, I did it your way before.  I once voted for a lukewarm, so-called Christian to be America's president. He came into office and within 7 months selected America's first homosexual ambassador, also allowing the man's live in lover to be supported by government dollars. He did more to advance the homosexual agenda in 7 months than Clinton did in 7 years.

Then the lukewarm, so-called Christian president visited a mosque and declared the muslim religion to be a good religion. Furthermore, he called Jesus a philosopher, which means one who expounds on a theory, ideas and opinions.
 
Believe it or not, a prayer to Jesus has far greater power than a vote.This time I will cast my vote by praying instead of being forced to vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

 "Kelly W" wrote:

I choose to live a life based on reality; respecting all people no matter
what they believe.

You choose to live in a dream world where you only tolerate those who hold
the same beliefs as you.

Who needs saving?

How can you call yourself a Christian while calling a human being "spit"? I
guess that's what happens when you worship such a cruel God.

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Kelly, Thanks for your comments. However, it is God's word that says the lukewarm are "spit" out.

Also, I agree that we should respect people; however, that doesn't mean I have to vote for them.

"Jeff S" wrote:
But Christians do have a candidate we can vote for! His name is Chuck Baldwin, he is running on the Constitution ballot, and he is red hot for Jesus!

I've wasted my vote for "spit" the last five elections and that spit has done more to set the world up for antichrist than all the previous administrations before them - never again will I vote for the lesser of two evils, or as you say "spit."

Sincerely, Jeff S

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Jeff!
Thanks for your comments. You get it! Continue to praise Jesus in all you do, and continue to stand against the voice that says we have to vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

"Carl M" wrote:
Jon,

Thank you for sending your thoughts on the upcoming election.  Here are a few of my own.

I believe that, perhaps, you have made the common mistake of confusing the spiritual with the natural.  Yes, we are to have Jesus as Lord of every area of our lives.  How many of us do that?  Do any of us do that?  I know that it is my desire, but, as a man, I continually fall short.  However, even though Jesus is to be Lord of all, it doesn't preclude us from having human authority over us which we are instructed to obey.  That would include the Hitlers and Stalins and Husseins of this world.  God gives us government because even bad government is better than no government.

As for the elections, I believe it is a privilege, an honor and a duty to vote as long as the candidate does not violate our conscience, as would be in the case of abortion.  Clearly, there will never be a perfect candidate, therefore, we are always stuck with the choice of the lesser of two evils.  Be that as it may, that is how God has set up our government.  He did not give us a dictatorship, he gave us a democracy.

In this particular election, there is a candidate who is very clearly the lesser of two evils, however, he may or may not hold to many of the Christian virtues that I hold dear.  Does that mean that I should not vote?  Does that mean that I am voting for "spit?"  I don't think that he is the Messiah, nor do I believe that he can solve all, or even any, of the problems that we face in America.  I do believe that he can stem the tide of evil that threatens all the world, and buy us a bit more time so that we can pray and seek His face, in peace, so that maybe, just maybe, He will move in the hearts of men to turn them toward Him.

Anyway, I believe that the only spitting that is being done by your stance of not voting is on the graves of our forefathers who fought to free us from tyranny and then fought to set up the government of this great nation so that we can be free.  And on the graves of all the men and women from then until now, who have, like Jesus, shed their blood so that we can remain free.

Thank you for your time,

Carl M

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Carl,
 
Call it whatever you want but I refuse to vote for anyone who blatently compromises the word of the Lord Jesus.
 
John McCain's compromise brought shame on John Hagee when he rejected the preacher for speaking out against the false catholic church.
 
Today, we watched the news photos showing Sarah Palin celebrating the demonic holiday called holloween with her children last night.
 
I'd rather elect someone who's faith is hot, not lukewarm spit

"Carl M" wrote:

Jon,

That is what I mean when I said that we confuse the spiritual with the natural.  The Kingdom of God will not be ushered in through the kingdom of man.  The kingdom of man is hopelessly corrupt.  Possibly we could get a believer like you want to see to run for the office of the president, possibly not.  But regardless, I believe it is foolish to allow our foundations to be eroded by not voting for the best that we have now.  If the foundations are destroyed, what are the righteous to do?

Even if we did get a wholehearted believer in the president's office, it will not solve our problems because the Kingdom of God is first within and then without, and no man can achieve that.  At best, he can help provide an environment where God is able to work in men's hearts.  That was my point earlier, to vote for a man that can, at least, stem the tide to allow us more time for God to work on all of our hearts.

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Carl,
 
I did it your way before.  I once voted for a lukewarm, so-called Christian to be America's president. He came into office and within 7 months selected America's first homosexual ambassador, also allowing the man's live in lover to be supported by government dollars. He did more to advance the homosexual agenda in 7 months than Clinton did in 7 years.
 
Then the lukewarm, so-called Christian president visited a mosque and declared the muslim religion to be a good religion. Furthermore, he called Jesus a philosopher, which means one who expounds on a theory, ideas and opinions.
This time I will cast my vote by praying instead of being forced to vote for the lesser of 2 evils.

William S wrote:
I believe in your comments about who the ultimate candidate should be. I also believe that prayer is a must for the elected president. My concern is that, please correct me if I misunderstood, you are saying not to vote if you like the better of the two candida ted, but are not strongly convicted to either one. I feel that it is necessary to vote on the running candidate that is guided by God, strongly supports biblical standards, both morally and ethically. The Holy Spirit, through prayer, will guide the leader in making the correct decisions.God answers all prayers, this does not mean we will understand or even like the answers we are given. We must acknowledge the answers that are given to us in the understanding that God knows what direction we are to take.
As humans we have become more and more impatient toward the answers that are given to us and less likely to follow them as well.
I feel it is critical in voting for the candidate that meets most of the concerns as a nation.
God will decide the outcome, Whether it is the candidate I vote for or not and that outcome should be supported through prayer and faith in God.

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

William,
 
Thanks for your sincere respose. However, I'm sure the antichrist will also meet most of the "needs" of the people too.

Meanwhile, I refuse to vote again for anyone calling themselves Chrisian; yet, who blatently compromises the word of the Lord Jesus. That's how I'll cast a vote for truth and righteousness.

Also, John McCain's compromise brought shame on John Hagee when he rejected the preacher for speaking out against the false catholic church.

Today, we watched the news photos showing Sarah Palin celebrating the demonic holiday called holloween with her children last night.
I'd rather elect someone who's faith is hot, not lukewarm!

"Gary M" wrote:
Jon
John Hagee himself apologized for those remarks, I believe. I don't include Catholics as born again believers either. Actually, if I were picking the best born again believer for president, it would be Allan Keys, but I know he can't win this time. He doesn't have enough Christians behind him. Most Christians will not mix it up politically and get involved because the devilish democrats have shut them up by saying they are judging and casting the first stone. The two most misused scriptures of this day and time. Way too many Holy huddles and not enough salt and light. Who are you supporting?

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Gary,
Thanks for your response my brother.
 
To answer your question, I am not going to vote this time; however, I am committed to prayer for God's will. Also, as we are commanded, I will also pray for whomever the Lord allows to come into power.

"John I" wrote:
I can understand your sentiments as we have historically seen Christians put way too much hope in the political system (and in so-called Christians). However, as Christians we need to do what we can (e.g., with our vote) to promote righteousness in our society.  If nothing else it is an act of love toward our fellowman.  As Proverbs 29:2 says, "When the righteous increase, the people rejoice, *but when a wicked man rules, people groan*." * *Think of it in terms of an analogy.  Let's say you life in a neighborhood where some people were planning to perform a child sacrifice, but before they did they went door to door and took a poll.  "We won't perform the sacrifice," they say, "if the majority of our neighbors think it's a bad idea."  If you were to say, "No, I don't participate in politics for my citizenship is in heaven," or something to that effect, then I believe you would be morally accountable for not doing what you could to prevent that sacrifice.

In society the law is a moral teacher.  For instance, before Roe v Wade there was a fraction of the abortions performed as compared to after it was enacted as law.  That is because people by and large view that which is legal as that which is moral.  If you could've voted to end slavery, would you?  If your political engagement could have helped to stop the Nazis, wouldn't you have participated?  Wouldn't you have been wrong not to?

I completely appreciate the fact that our hope in this world is not in our vote, but in God.  Yes, Satan's influence is ultimately negated by God, but He expects us to play an intelligent part in it all.  For this reason I believe we have to do the hard work of evaluating candidates and party platforms on the basis of the Word of God, and then do our civic duty with our vote of promoting what is good and restraining what is evil.  It may come down to the proverbial "lesser of two evils," but isn't that still a "lessening of evil"?

Those are my thoughts in a nutshell.

Hope you're doing well – John I

Editor Jon Israel wrote:

Thanks for your sincere respose. However, I refuse to vote again for anyone calling themselves Chrisian; yet, who blatently compromises the word of the Lord Jesus.   Also, John McCain's compromise brought shame on John Hagee when he rejected the preacher for speaking out against the false catholic church.   Today, we watched the news photos showing Sarah Palin celebrating the demonic holiday called holloween with her children last night.  

I'd rather elect someone who's faith is hot, not lukewarm!

Proverbs 29:2 When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan.